[Ti] Range of connection

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Mon Aug 25 16:23:42 PDT 2003

>I am wondering what the range of connection is with a wireless
>Netgear router, that is running on my brother's cable connection
>just a stone's throw away in front of his family room picture window?
>
>The two homes are mirror images of each other, family room windows
>facing, separated by a driveway, but I am not sure the actual
>footage that the Airport card can reach his router.
>
>Is it possible for me to do this or am I dreaming? :-)

Unfortunately, the Ti is notorious for its poor range; however, if
the netgear has decent range, it is possible.  My D-Link wireless has
two external antennae, and an advertised range of 350 feet. However
adding a wall and a window shortens that range to about 80 feet
between two buildings here.  While 802.11b travels through walls,
etc, it substantially diminishes signal strength.  If windows are the
only thing between the two devices, you might be lucky, but remember
bushes, trees, etc. count too ;-)

--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com