[Ti] dead cdrom on TI500 - what are my options

Deborah Shadovitz Deb at Shadovitz.com
Tue Aug 26 15:41:28 PDT 2003

On 8/23/03 6:38pm, "mac2 mail" <mac2 at oryx.cc> typed:

> I have a TI 500 with the stock CDROM/DVD-ROM drive which has recently
> died.  It will accept a cd then in a few seconds, eject it.  When the
> cd is in the drive, the drive never spins up.  I will probably keep
> this system for another 9-12 months and definately need some type of
> optical drive.

I am coming into this rather late but...
I have a Ti 400. A month ago suddenly my drive did what is described here.
Thinking of how we press the C key to tell Mac to start off a startup CD, I
tried pressing the C key as I put a CD in. Sometimes it helped. (Then it
didn't. Then my drive started working again.)

I realize this is not a solution in that you'll want a reliable drive. And I
have not verified this with Apple as I would it I printed it. But when a CD
fails to mount for any of you, maybe this tip will help.

- - - - - - Please cut here when quoting - - - - - -
Deborah Shadovitz, Author, Instructor & Speaker
<http://www.shadovitz.com> ~ <deb at shadovitz.com>
MacAddict Contributing Editor, O'Reilly Network author, Mac Design Columnist
The Adobe GoLive 5 Bible ~ <http://www.GoLiveBible.com>
Launch Pad Books & good old Mac Efficiency 101 at MacEfficiency.com