[Ti] File sharing past router?

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Thu Aug 28 10:36:19 PDT 2003

On Thursday, August 28, 2003, at 11:03 AM, Michael Bigley wrote:

>> LOL.   None of my stuff is of interest to others. I am not in charge
>> of an e-commerce site. It is interesting to see how important we
>> sometimes think our data is and how interested we think others will
>> find it. You will find far more valuable information by digging
>> through the trash at most businesses.
>>
>> Does everyone who uses SSH also shred their trash before putting it
>> out for the trash pick up?
>
> The difference is that only dogs and raccoons will spread your trash
> about your yard for no apparent reason... and it is only a light
> bending over to resolve the issue.  There are thousands of "kiddie
> hackers" who would delight in hacking into your machine and destroying
> your data not because of what it is, but because it is there.   It is
> modern day outhouse tipping. We use SSH because we are not willing to
> risk our systems to that sort of mischief, more than we believe are
> data is important to others.

I was merely suggesting a way to gain access thru a firewall and router
to a privately addressed network machine without leaving yourself wide
open with insecure protocols and services on internal machines that are
freely available to others over the internet.  Whether or not it seems
ridiculous to some, it works.  I have data that I don't want to loose
no matter how unimportant it may be to others.  Since I've had machines
broken into into the past, I've learned that if you leave the door
open, the dogs and raccoons will feel free to come in and scatter your
garbage all over the floor instead of the yard.
--
Chris