[Ti] Best wireless router solution

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Sat Aug 30 00:04:35 PDT 2003

WEP is what encrypts all the wireless communications, not just
what requires (and encrypts) login to the WLAN.  So without
WEP, all text sent is sent as clear text, including the non-
trivial passwords, and is easily sniffable.  Eg, just park on
the street for a little while while the business is starting
for the day and logging in, and there's all the passwords
for you.  Cf I had had the impression that Extreme's encryption
was WAP, which is more secure than WEP, but don't see that in
the Extreme tech specs pdf at
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75472.

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Michael Bigley wrote:
 . . .
> We put a Linksys wireless PC card in a Windows laptop and tried
> connecting to the Airport Extreme network. Including and hour with
> Linksys tech support, we could find no way to connect to the Airport
> with WEP enabled. This client chose to keep WEP disabled, as it was a
> home network, and they used non-trivial passwords on all their
> devices leaving only the actual wireless connection open; if someone
> wanted to warchalk their wireless connection they would have to park
> obviously on their suburban side street.
 . . .