[Ti] How do I remove OS9 from Panther?

Kynan Shook kynan at cs.wisc.edu
Thu Dec 4 12:10:09 PST 2003

OK, it's time to clear up some confusion...
First of all, using a disk formatting utility to zero all data will NOT
give a speed increase.  When formatting a hard drive normally, the
computer just replaces the catalog of all existing files with a blank
one.  The data for all the files is still there, but as far as the
computer is concerned, there is no difference between a spot on the
disk that doesn't hold a file and is a sequence of zeros and ones, and
a spot that doesn't hold a file and is all zeros.  In short, there is
NO difference between formatting normally, and formatting with zero all
data.
Regarding Journaling, it is probably a good idea to have it on.  It
should help speed up booting after a crash, and it will help prevent
major directory corruption.  The way the journal works is this: every
time the computer is about to make a change to the disk, it writes a
note to the journal saying quickly what it's about to do.  It then
completes the operation, and then deletes the note in the journal.  If
the computer crashes, it will find a note in the journal telling it the
last thing it was doing, but never finished.  It can undo this partial
operation, rather than having to go through and check every single part
of the directory structure for corruption (which the built-in disk
check can't always do well anyway).  There shouldn't be a noticeable
speed hit.
Regarding Classic, it is unnecessary for many people.  I have not had
classic installed on my computer for a long time; probably at least a
year and a half now.  I installed Panther, Jaguar, and all updates for
each with no classic system folder.  I have not encountered any
installers or anything else that I need that require classic to be
installed.  I would recommend keeping Classic around for a few months
and make sure that you never use it over that period of time, and after
that, you can probably pretty safely trash it.  There are no Apple
installers that I know of in recent history that don't work due to
classic not being installed.  The only exceptions I can think of were
during 10.1 and 10.0, when a few unusual updaters (for things such as
firmware in various components, etc.) were released.  I have since seen
these same things done natively in OS X with no need for Classic.
Regarding computers that can't boot into OS 9; the version of Classic
that is installed on them is enough to boot any OS 9-compatible Mac.
The reason why these latest computers can't boot the same version of OS
9 is that the OS needs to be updated for each new model of computer
that is made; making these updates costs Apple a good chunk of money,
plus it makes the OS more complicated (some computers won't boot from
anything but the OS CD they shipped with).  On an OS that is no longer
being developed, this is a waste, so Apple stopped updating the OS for
each new architecture they build.  For this reason, OS 9 won't boot on
newer machines.  It's nothing explicitly set by the installer, nor is
it anything malicious by Apple to make people upgrade.

Hope that helps everybody a little bit,