[Ti] Starting Jaguar on a PowerBook from a SCSI hard drive with SCSI- to-FireWire adapter?

cheshirekat cheshirekat at pobox.com
Wed Dec 10 12:19:43 PST 2003

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003, the following words from Roald Baudoux
roald.baudoux at brutele.be, emerged from a plethora of SPAM ...

>I've been sticking to MacOS 9.2.2 until now because Jaguar is really slow
>on my TiBook. As time passes, I would like to use Jaguar more. I have a 8
>Gb 7200 RPM SCSI external hard disk. As it's much faster than the internal
>disk I was thinking of using it as a startup disk for Jaguar through a SCSI-
>to-FireWire adapter.

What do you mean by slow? Compared to what? Personally, I wouldn't use
such a small disk for a startup with OS X. I have a 9Gig and an 18Gig,
both SCSI that I've been thinking of ways to use with my Ti for backup
purposes, but as a lover of lots of space and a large  iTunes library,
I'd have to have at least a 20 or 30 Gig as startup. I haven't heard
anyone mention use of the SCSI to FW adapters. For the price I've seen,
it would be less expensive to get a FW enclosure for the HD.

>Does it have any chance to work?

Jaguar works fine for me.

>TiBook 15"/867 MHz/RAM 768 MB

I have the exact same PowerBook, same amount of RAM and enjoy the speed
of 10.2.6. But, maybe I'm easier to please after upgrading from a 6400.
I'd probably get dizzy trying to keep up if it went much faster - if this
is considered slow.
--
Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca, writer and philosopher

* 867 PowerBook G4 * OS X 10.2.6 * 768 MB Ram *