[Ti] Ahhhh! My ethernet is dead!

Kynan Shook kynan at cs.wisc.edu
Sat Dec 13 10:06:04 PST 2003

Hmmmm...  Could be a hardware problem; try running Apple Hardware Test.
  Also, check what appears in Apple System Profiler, let us know.  It's
also possible that the pins are bent in your Ethernet port; frequent
use of the port combined with a lot of jiggling the cable and not
inserting it straight can sometimes bend the pins out of contact with
the cable, which is very, very difficult to fix without breaking them.
You might want to try booting off a different OS, if possible, but I'm
going to guess that you only have one boot disk.  But if you have
multiple ones, booting off a different drive can let you test the
software quickly and easily.