[Ti] setting the gateway in Jaguar/Network

Wesley Griffin wgriffin at fraktured.net
Sun Dec 14 11:02:32 PST 2003

On Dec 14, 2003, at 1:12 AM, Dr Trevor J. Hutley wrote:

>>> On 13 Dec 2003, at 08:53, Dr Trevor J. Hutley wrote:
>>>
>>> There seems no option in the [Jaguar 10.2.8] Network panel to enter
>>> the router ID if the main IP address is assigned by the DHCP server.
>>> Is there a way round this?
>
> Rather than just explaining what I cannot do, perhaps it is helpful to
> see the issue like this:
>
> 	I am trying to use the Firewall IP address as the gateway,
> 	whilst at the same time the DHCP server is assigning the IP address
> to my Mac.
>
> HOW can this be set up in Jaguar 10.2.8 ?

I just noticed this in Panther as well. I'm curious why the DHCP server
is not providing the router address when it assigns the IP address.
That's an almost universal configuration of a DHCP server.I know you
say your PC guy is busy with students, but I'd ask him why that is,
because you're not going to be the only one having this problem. That
said...

> From reading the Manual in the Unix terminal, I get the impression
> that I should be doing something with this command:
>
>  	route [-n] command [-net | -host] destination gateway [netmask]

Yes this is the command you want.

> with this modifier:
>
>  	-static    RTF_STATIC     - manually added route
>
> although I do not plan to "experiment" with such a command unless I
> get some specific guidance.

But you don't want the -static option. Here's what you want:

route add default <router ip>

specifying your firewall IP for <router ip>. You could add this command
to one of the startup scripts in /etc to have it persist across boots.
Or, you could simply edit the /etc/hostconfig file and change the line:

ROUTER=-AUTOMATIC-

ROUTER=<router ip>

I haven't personally tried this, but I would expect it to work. That
should get you working, but I'd really look into why the DHCP server is
not providing a default gateway with the address assignment.