[Ti] setting the gateway in Jaguar/Network

Dr Trevor J. Hutley hutley_tj at jic.edu.sa
Sun Dec 14 22:03:03 PST 2003

At 14:02 -0500 14/12/03, Wesley Griffin wrote:
>  I'm curious why the DHCP server is not providing the router address
>when it assigns the IP address.

Wesley - perhaps I did not explain the situation clearly enough.  The
DHCP server is operating normally - it does assign a router address.
What we want to do is over-ride that router address, and set the
firewall IP address as the router address.  This enables me to
by-pass the firewall for my POP mail account access.

We have been able to do this from my PC, so that I can access my POP
email accounts.

What I want to do is get that access from my Mac, so that I can use
Eudora on my Mac to access the email accounts.

But in the OS X Network panel, there seems no way to MANUALLY set the
gateway address whilst the DHCP server is assigning the IP address to
the computer (whereas this can be done on the PC).

>>From reading the Manual in the Unix terminal, I get the impression
>>that I should be doing something with this command:
>>
>>  	route [-n] command [-net | -host] destination gateway [netmask]
>
>Yes this is the command you want.

I am pleased to find that as a Unix newbie I was on the right track.... !

>Here's what you want:
>
>route add default <router ip>

Than ks for the guidance and help.

>specifying your firewall IP for <router ip>.

I will try that.

>You could add this command to one of the startup scripts in /etc to
>have it persist across boots.

I understand what you are suggesting, but I do not know where to find
"one of the startup scripts in /etc", nor do I know how to find and
edit the following:

>Or, you could simply edit the /etc/hostconfig file and change the line:
>
>ROUTER=-AUTOMATIC-

>ROUTER=<router ip>

Could you just give me a pointer on where to find the file that I
need to change ?  I cannot locate this file using Find.

It sounds a bit like the autoexec.bat file in DOS that we used to
customize in the old days.....

Thanks for your help.

regards.  Trevor