[Ti] Help with multiple outgoing servers in mail

Christian Leue c.leue at mac.com
Sun Dec 21 02:17:06 PST 2003

Am 21.12.2003 um 07:41 schrieb Steve Wozniak:

> I now run Postfix Enabler to enable the Postfix email server in
> Jaguar/Panther. I then set the SMTP server[s] to "localhost", meaning
> my own PowerBook. This works for me. I don't know if it will work in
> your case but might be worth a try. It gets around some problems with
> using outside SMTP servers.

Alas, the annoying problem with this method is that, if you are on
dial-in ports (and here in Germany, also the Telekom's DSL ports are
considered dial-in), quite a few remote hosts will refuse connections
from your machine. This is because some of the RBL services these
remote hosts poll have developed lists of dial-in IP address ranges,
and automatically consider mail from those addresses as being from
spammers. Even mac.com refused my message when I tested a short while
ago.

The only acceptable solution to this problem is, it appears, to use a
reliable SMTP server that accepts relays from you after you have
identified yourself with SMTP AUTH.

Christian