[Ti] OT: House burglary tonight

Phillip McGree phil at phil.net.au
Sat Dec 27 18:27:20 PST 2003

>It can often be very dangerous to wake up while the burglars are still in
>your home. I am glad to hear that your PowerBook wasn't stolen and
>especially that you weren't harmed by the intruders. I hope the police
>catch them and recover your property.

It all happened extremely fast... if it had have eventuated slower then I would have told them I've got a bunch of cash hidden in the house, tried to lull them into a false sense of security, and then belted the living crap out of one of them with whatever weapon I could find (ie crowbar next to the front door, pocket knife on my desk).  Catch one of them, and he/she will pretty quickly give the names of the others.

I'm 6 foot tall, 118kg...  big ugly fat bastard, particularly unattractive when running across the front yard in nothing but old underpants.  And I HATE thieves, so if I had have caught one of them then I would have overpowered them out of anger.  It's well known here that if you catch someone who's either Aboriginal or under 18 then the courts are useless.  And because the courts here are so slack, police tend not to bother even prosecuting in the first place.  Many people will tell you (off the record) that the way to deal with people like that is to belt the living crap out of them, leave them in a local park, and then call police or an ambulance.

I know it will sound racist to people that are unfamiliar with how things are here in Australia, but these were Aboriginal kids.  Aboriginals will get violent when they are in a large pack, but when they are in a small group or on their own then they are nowhere near as confrontational.  And being chased by this huge pissed off pale bloke who's bare skin hasn't seen sunshine in many years must have had them at least a tad concerned.

> Perhaps you should get yourself a crock and chain him up beside your front
> door ;)

The only crock around here is the crock of shit that I am usually talking.  (Aussie light hearted slang term - crock of shit = load of bullshit)

Maybe I should wire up some sort of infra red thing... instead of it going off like a normally burglar alarm it makes loud dog barking noises instead?  Actually, a voice that calls out "righto, got some work for you to do here" would have had them running with the biggest fear of their lives.

I'll have the camera serial number here somewhere, I bought it secondhand a year ago but always make sure I get a full receipt for anything like that, with the serial number written clearly.  I'll be faxing all the pawnbroker shops in the next few days.  And here I was thinking that I would never use the fax function in 10.3!

Bit miffed that I couldn't take a photo of how the PowerBook was left in the corner of my bedroom though... and I can't take a photo of the lovely grazes that I've got on my right knee and hand from when I fell over chasing their getaway car down the road.

Moral of the story...   don't leave your PowerBook on your desk at night, always take it to bed with you!  My geekiness/nerdiness paid off, I always take my PowerBook to bed at night.  :-)

Phil

Sent from the Apple PowerBook G4 of:
Phillip McGree                                     	Web: 	http://www.phil.net.au
Perth, Western Australia			http://www.perthcomedy.com
Mobile Phone: 0418 922 500
Macs for sale - new and secondhand		http://www.themacshack.com.au

Disclaimer:
This transmission is intended for people that have functioning eyesight and literacy.  If you have no eyesight, or can't read, please disregard this email.  Thank you.