[OT] Airborne Express, was Re: [Ti] Electricity "leak"

Kynan Shook kynan at cs.wisc.edu
Sat Dec 27 18:52:52 PST 2003

Well, I wouldn't normally do this, but I've had such *good* experiences
with Airborne Express that I have to leap to their defense here...  I
work for an Apple Authorized Service Provider, so I can confirm that
all of Apple's service parts (such as your power adapter and cord, or
any parts we use to fix computers) are shipped overnight by Airborne.
Retail goods use a variety of shippers.  At our office, I don't think
we've ever had a package lost, or even delayed by Airborne.  They are
FAST.
A recent experience I had with them was when I sent my iSight in to
Apple (the green light quit working, nothing major).  As usual, Apple
sent the box to me via Airborne, I returned it, and they gave me a new
one (again, by Airborne).  Not only did Airborne overnight it to me,
but when the delivered it, I got some awesome service.  Though I was
home at the time, our doorbell was broken (and still is, stupid
landlord...).  My roommate brought me the slip they left, and I called
them about an hour after they stopped by, asking them to route the
package to my office instead of to my apartment.  They were happy to do
so, and the best part is that they did that only about an hour after I
called.  In my experience with other carriers, once the package is out
on the truck, they can't tell you where it is, when it will get to its
destination, or change the destination.
I was thoroughly impressed.
As an aside, I just got an Amazon order today; it "shipped" the 23rd,
was received by Airborne on the 24th, got to my city on the 26th, and
was delivered by USPS today (the 27th).  Not bad for shipping around
Christmas, especially considering I opted for the cheapest shipping
option available.  Not as fast as Airborne's usual overnight service
since local delivery was handled by US Postal Service, but considering
that Amazon told me it would arrive some time between the 31st and the
3rd, I'm plenty happy.  A testament to both Airborne and Amazon.