[Ti] line in

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Sun Dec 28 16:16:28 PST 2003

Eric Forat typed this message on 03/12/28 14:16:

> I've been trying to connect a headset and mike to my Ti and the mike
> doesn't work. And I tested it with three mikes and nothing. I did select
> sys prefs/ sound/ input/ line in, but nothing happens. The built-in is
> fine, but I need a unidirectional mike close to my mouth so I don't have
> to shout. Is that micro-jack in the back, between the phone jack and the
> video out, really  a line in ?  Or must I go to a USB  model? Any ideas?
> Best, eric

I find that it is best to go the USB route. The Griffin (no relation) iMic
is a cheap, simple device that will accept both earphones out and mic in
using separate plugs. I use it with an Altec Lansing stereo earphone/mic
boom combo that works quite well (although the quality of the sound in the
earphones leaves a bit to be desired). The input plug has a switch that lets
you choose between high level (line) or low level (mic) setting so you can
record from other devices such as tape deck, turntable, audio mixer deck or
voice recorder as well as a low level mic.

jg