[Ti] [OT] Airborne Express, was Re: [Ti] Electricity "leak"

Kynan Shook kynan at cs.wisc.edu
Mon Dec 29 03:25:52 PST 2003

I have to believe this happens everywhere...  A number of years ago, I
knew somebody that worked in a UPS facility, and he readily admitted to
throwing every single package that he touched.  For a similar show, go
watch an airplane get loaded up.  In many places, you can watch them
drop several items right off the plane when they miss the conveyor
belt.  No wonder airlines won't cover any damage to the outside of your
suitcase.

Several times I have flown with my cello; not a cheap instrument,
unfortunately, and very easily damaged.  I spent well over an hour
packing it...  Loosening the strings just a little (but not too much,
or the soundpost can fall), packing every square inch of open space in
the case with socks and towels to keep things from getting banged
around too much, then sealing the case and wrapping it in bubble
wrap...  I was lucky in one of the travels (both were with an
orchestra), in that they put all of our large instruments into a
container to be loaded directly onto the plane, and not bounced around
on conveyor belts.  Even so, when a relative travelled across the
country to loan me a much better cello, we purchased a seat on the
plane for it, rather than risk getting it dropped.

It's too bad there are so many people that just don't care for other
people's property.  These same people often don't take care of their
own things either, so at least they're not being discriminatory...