[Ti] line-in on my Al-book - no signal

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Mon Dec 29 12:36:26 PST 2003

At 16:16 -0300 28/12/03, Eric Forat wrote:
>I've been trying to connect a headset and mike to my Ti and the mike
>doesn't work. And I tested it with three mikes and nothing. I did
>select sys prefs/ sound/ input/ line in, but nothing happens. The
>built-in is fine, but I need a unidirectional mike close to my mouth
>so I don't have to shout.

Eric - after reading this thread, I thought I would just check out
and test the audio lione in (mic) on my 15.2" Al -Powerbook, which
definitely has an audio line-in, which I have not used so far.  I
plan to use it for VoIP, soon ....

I have just recently bought a headset/mic for use with VoIP in the office.

I connected this to the line-in, opened the Sound panel in my System
Preferences and selected Input.

The built-in microphone seems to have a sound level, as shown in the
panel, right around the mid-level.

HOWEVER when I select lin-in, there is NOTHING.
No movement on the "meter" at all.
The gain is set at maximum.

So now I am back home, where I have another, higher quality headset/mic.
I connected this to the line-in, but again the Sound panel shows nothing.

Assuming the chance that both headsets are broken 'as purchased' is
pretty small, I have to assume that there is something wrong with my
set-up.  I am not aware of any other changes I can make.

Is there anyone with a 3.5 mm jack line-in mic that is working OK
with a regular microphone?

Or anyone who knows of an explanation for my observations?

regards,  Trevor