[Ti] File Vault

Bill Fox wfoxjr at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 30 05:12:03 PST 2003

Here's my FileVault horror story
<http://www.macsonly.com/arch00312.html#12221>. You should start with a
new Home folder, FileVault it and then add your files from a complete
backup copy. I didn't lose any files, just suffered a mass loss of
correct permissions that still creates problems, like QT6.5 not
launching. I have yet to find all of the files that need their
permissions corrected to allow QT to launch.

FileVault works fine on the new Home Folder I created and am slowly
migrating to.

Also, you have to encrypt your whole Home folder, not just folders
within it. If you want to encrypt single files or folders, a 3rd party
encryption program will do that but not on the fly as far as I know.