Constant freezing....

Benn joverkamp at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 3 21:15:48 PST 2003

Well here's my problem...
Everything way fine until I was running on battery tonight.  I hadn't
had any problems, had constant uptimes of 2 weeks all the time.  Then,
my machine freezes.  Just a dead freeze.  I restart.  After a while, it
freezes again.  I restart.  it freezes a third time.  And then, I can't
boot up.  The startup chime plays, but the screen doesn't turn on.
When it doesn't this, I can't zap the pram.  I take a break for a
while, come back and I reset the PMU.  It starts up!! Woo!  Then a
little later, it freezes again.  And again.  And again.  I take it back
home, and put my other battery in it, but it still has the same issues.
  Once it gets bad, I HAVE to reset to the PMU to get it going again.  I
plug it in, thinking it was something to do with running on battery,
but the same issues are still occurring.  I took out my airport card
and my non-apple RAM, same results.  I ran fsck and it found some
stuff, but it didn't fix the problem.  Maybe I'll try some other
utilities, but I figured I'd see if anyone on the list could help
first.  I'm really flustered at this point.  I don't know why it keeps
happening.  It just comes to a dead freeze and I have to restart.

Powerbook 400, bought in may 2001.  384mb of RAM, 48GB travelstar hard
drive, 10.2.3.

Benn