Am I missing something?

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Tue Feb 4 14:56:19 PST 2003

I just started burning my first DVD on my new 1 Ghz Powerbook. Imagine my
surprise when I learned that 1x is the fastest speed supported! What gives
here? This is the same mechanism that is in the 17" Powerbooks which have 2x
burning.

Even the iMacs with slower bus speed can burn faster than the TiPB! The only
reason I can figure that they hobbled the TiPBs is so those of us who paid
out plenty of cash for them for the DVD burning features will now turn
around and pay out more $$$ for the 17" brutes. There is no other reason I
can figure it, since they are obviously capable at burning at the faster 2x
speed if they had the right firmware.

I looked back on the brochures I collected and found that this fact was not
revealed until the 15" ghz Powerbooks started shipping. I hate to use the
words "SCAM" or "Bait and Switch" but I think something like that could be
argued here.

I sure hope there is a SuperDrive firmware upgrade in the works for the
TiPBs, because I just can't afford the time to sit around and wait for these
things to burn at such a slow speed.

jg