Ti 667 won't boot

c tubbs ctubbs at mac.com
Wed Feb 5 06:27:56 PST 2003

I'm Having  major problem the past 24 hrs that has culminated in a TiBook that won't boot.

I'm running OS X Jaguar latest update with Classic installed but rarely used.

1st. have an old system suitcase (from os9) that when i try to delete it either by emptying the trash, or from the command line as superuser, the machine locks up completely. no force quitting, no remote login to reset....nothing but a hard reboot and then fsck -y to fix all the orphaned nodes and catalog errors. I've tried renaming the suitcase and deleting...same problem. I've even tried wiping it with PGP. That locks up the machine too. So, I've left that file in a folder on the desktop for now.

2nd (next) the computer would suddenly freeze up in OSX...apparently randomly. no force quitting, nothing but hard reboot..three fingers all the way.

so i reinstalled jaguar and the updates by the archiving method and mainting the user and network settings. didn't wan't to do a disk format-reinstall.

all seemed ok for about 1/2 hr. then random freeze and trouble rebooting the machine. It would not respond to the power button nor the 3 fingers. I could let it sit plugged in...and here is the kicker. initially the powercord would be green. but after it sat for a few minutes, it turned yellow. when it was yellow i could reboot the machine. but it frequently freezes during startup and i have to reboot yet again.

So, anyone have a clue as to what may be my issue(s) hardware? software? Anyone know how to erase a file that freezes the system when you try to erase it?

-C