[Ti] ergonomica

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Wed Feb 5 06:45:57 PST 2003

>On 2/4/03 4:35 PM, "Robert Ameeti" <robert at ameeti.net> wrote:

>> I have had some issues with neck, back, & wrist stain in the past (even with
>> desktops since I spend so much time on the machine) and was wondering how
>> many out there have had any issues having to look down at the powerbook
>> screen all the time

> Most recommendations for having the monitor at eye level come from people who
> have vested interests in selling your something. A monitor stand.

I haven't seen a single one.. My Chiropractor is who suggested I move my
laptop (that and advice from a wack of other Ti owners). Oh yeah and about
20 years of computer experience has kinda taught me a few things.

How funny to suggest this to someone immediately after they state that they
have problems. Everyone has a different shape, maybe you can do fine with
your monitor sitting in a hole in your desk (yikes?!). Many people may not.

Maybe that is what Steve means by this being the Year of the Laptop - maybe
Apple is making a laptop stand just so they can sell you more! (sigh)

We ARE still taking about a laptop stand right? A monitor stand is a little
different beast.. MOST monitors are built to the proper height already.

> After much
> research, I found that non biased sources were questioning this common belief
> and many were finding that having a monitor at a neck relaxed position was
> best.

Common belief of how the spine and neck sit in a certain position and how an
imbalance either front to back or side to side will cause strain? Or are you
talking about the belief that monitor stands work? Trying to figure it out
so that I can go and tell all the people I see with phonebooks and
encyclopedia's under their little monitors, that they're all wrong and just
imagining their pains.

After readig some of the reports you link to - I see it's about splitting
hairs. I am positive that over 90% of the world does NOT have the means of
ensuring that their head and torso angles are precisely 5 degree's different
than what they're used to. Sometimes "studies" are nothing but hilarious.

Maybe if we all had height adjustable monitors and desks this could be a
reality, but otherwise it's just science. Valid - but pretty impractical.

> Desks historically have not had this monitor hole in them cuz
> monitors haven't existed as regular desk items for all that long.

All that long? Huh? I have been working with a monitor on my desk for almost
twenty years.. Other people a lot longer than that.. You think NO desk
manufacturers do this because monitors haven't been around for that long?? I
would say NO desk manufacturers are doing this because, well.. That's funny!

> And desks aren't manufactured this way cuz people typically don't think it is
> necessary  while monitors are all different sizes as well.

Typically? I would say typically with the 100's of millions of
computers/monitors out there  - that some pretty substantial information
DOES exist to support such devices (stands).

However - you seem to be making an argument against what the original post
was asking information on - and that I totally disagree with.

At my height and size (almost exactly to the original poster's) - I still
definitely suggest a stand for your Ti.

Bill Reburn