[Ti] ergonomica

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Wed Feb 5 09:14:45 PST 2003

On  Tue, 4 Feb 2003 15:19:55 -0500 Kevin Hoth <khoth at arches.uga.edu> wrote:

> I am considering trading in my desktop for a lovely TiBook. I have had
> some issues with neck, back, & wrist stain in the past (even with
> desktops since I spend so much time on the machine) and was wondering
> how many out there have had any issues having to look down at the
> powerbook screen all the time, having your arms tight in on a smaller
> keyboard, etc. Do many of you use pro keyboards and stands? I want a
> laptop to be a laptop sans all the extra prostheseses, of course.

I just read an article in the Toronto Star that claims that the old standard
of having the display at eye level is just plain wrong. New studies are
showing that it is much better to have the screen down about 20° from
horizontal. So, the Powerbook level should be just about right.

To test this out, take an ordinary business card and hold it straight ahead
and read it. Now lower gradually to about 20° down. Chances are you will
find that it is much easier to read (sharpness, contrast and focus) at about
the 20° position.

However, I would suggest using an external keyboard and mouse (or
trackball). An external display also is a better alternative (I use the 17"
Studio Display, and it works great with the Powerbook).

jg