ergo virgo

Kevin Hoth khoth at arches.uga.edu
Wed Feb 5 12:26:20 PST 2003

Wow, I didn't think my post could possibly ellicit such debate!  This
is probably a good subject to discuss.

I, for one, have had MANY physical issues since being on a computer for
at least 6 hours per day over the last several years. The only thing
that has helped alleviate some pretty severe neck, shoulder, and wrist
strain (I actually have switched over to mousing with my left hand
after carpal tunnel-like symptoms developed) is massage therapy, yoga,
AND ergonomic training. My boss let me take some classes during the day
and, after making even some minute changes to my desk space, a lot of
my symptoms went away. Of course, one should always take breaks and
there are all kinds of exercises one can do in between fervent work
stints to help circulation and such. As for the info I have been given
here's a quick rundown of what I received and what has been effective:

1. screen top at eye level
2. screen plane parallel to face
3. shoulders at rest, elbows at 90 degrees, forearms perpendicular to
torso (straight out) and supported by arm rests
4. wrist flat, hand on even plane with forearms (palm is supported but
not wrist as this is where your tendons are)
5. hand straight out from wrists (not bent to the side)
6. back straight and supported (good internal posture is essential,
however)
7. feet flat on the floor with 90 bend in knees

other:
8. I have heard LCD displays are better on your eyes since there isn't
the screen refresh issue nor the electromagnetic radiation
9. screen brightness should be roughly equivalent to the ambient light
in your work space

Obviously, there's some give and take for each individual but I thought
some may benefit from this information. I certainly have.
That's why I posted my original concerns about getting a laptop.

Thanks.

.:kevin j. hoth:.
.:instructional and multimedia support:.
.:enterprise information technology services:.
.:the university of georgia:.
.:athens, ga:.

To make people free is the aim of art, therefore art for me is the
science of freedom.

--Joseph Beuys (1921-1986)