[Ti] Re : Fan noise on tiBook 867

Tom Warner tom at dfind.com
Thu Feb 6 08:50:05 PST 2003

On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 04:00 PM, Glenn L. Austin wrote:

> I also make sure
> that the cooling vents on the bottom/back/sides remain uncovered,

They did away with the bottom vents on the Rev Bs. Utter madness. On my
667 the fan blasts away at the bottom of the case. There is nowhere for
the hot air to go, so it doesn't.

Several times I've checked the airflow in/out of the side and back
vents. Using my precision calibrated tuft of Prime Northern European
Goose Down, there is _no_ movement of air in or out of the case as a
result of the fan.

If I could locate a spare bottom case, I'd drill some holes in the
bottom directly under the fan. Anyone got spare case lying around
gathering dust?

I have a heatsink along the bottom rear to try to conduct some of the
heat away and I think it helps a bit but, some holes would be better.

BTW I know of someone who, after measuring temps for some time, has
disconnected the fan in his 550. He has found no difference in the
operating temperature and the machine is silent. I don't have the
courage to do that.

All the best,
Tom
--