What a waste ...

Frank Wiewandt fwphoto at adelphia.net
Sat Feb 8 16:46:28 PST 2003

I really wanted to put a program in place to regularly backup my 800 MHz TiG4 &
had heard good things about Dantz Retrospect so I purchased Express 5.0 thinking
it would be the way to go. I also bought a firewire DVD-RW thinking DVD was the
way to go. I had no idea that there would be a compatability issue. Oh well, my
fault. I'll use the DVD-RW with DVDSP anyway so no real harm there.

Retrospect recognized my built-in CD-RW as supported so I thought, what the
heck, until my DVD-RW is put on the list of supported hardware, I'll just get a
batch of CD-RWs and use them to backup my "supported" drive. I was surprised
that there were a couple of glitches when I burned the 9 CD-RWs, but I only
ended up with 1 coaster so I thought no big deal. It didn't seem to give me a
perfect set of discs though so I started looking for help.

After searching through the Dantz & Apple forums, now I find that my CD-RW is
one firmware version behind & they say that there is nothing that they are going
to do. They say it's Apple's fault. Basically I'm feeling pretty screwed. :-(

So here I sit with a backup app that is worthless to me and a stack of CD-RWs I
wouldn't have bought.

What a waste ......

Frank Wiewandt