[Ti] How do I get more speed from my Ti 400?

Paul Russell prussell at arc-software.com
Sun Feb 9 09:25:36 PST 2003

>My Ti 400, 40GB IBM GNX Drive, 384 MB RAM, OS 10.2.3 runs like a
>snail. Would more RAM help? I am aware that the vid requirements are
>not met by this machine but Jag still runs better than any other
>OSX. Finder speed is my problem. Applications are snappy enough. I
>don't want to settle for minor speed improvements. In earlier OSX
>versions I tried various software fixes (TinkerTool, etc.) and found
>them to be lacking. I have set colors down to thousands for my
>display and it hasn't seemed to help. If this is a lost cause please
>just tell me so. I need to stay in OSX for crash-proofing and for
>job related networking issues (love that Rendevous!). PLease advise.
>I am not ready to purchase a new Powerbook.

More RAM would probably help.

FWIW, I use a 400 MHz Ti with OS X 10.2.3 and consider myself
something of a "power user". I would *like* a faster machine of
course, but can't really justify it as this machine really is fast
enough for all my day-to-day stuff. The only exception I can think of
is that I did some iMovie work over the Xmas holidays and then I
really could have benefited from a much faster machine, but the rest
of the time it's fine.

Next time you machine seems slow try running top in a Terminal window
and see if something is sucking up your CPU cycles (some applications
eat CPU bandwidth even when they are not doing anything - tsk, tsk,
bad programmers, no biscuit).

Paul