[Ti] Converting to VCD

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 11 12:37:18 PST 2003

According to James Ameeti:

>What program can I use to turn a .mov file into something like a vcd
>for a DVD player. I do not have a DVD-RW. My DVD player can play VCD.

The absolute best app for turning a mov. file into SVCD was Astarte
M.Pack MPEG encoder, but Apple bought them out and discontinued the
app. bad Apple, no biscuit.

Toast 5.0.2 or higher, will work, but you have to pay attention to
the 'bit rate'. There's a max that will work on a CD. Wild guess-->
around 2.5 or 2.6 Mb/second. A good app for identifying the exact
nature of the source file is MPEGInfo 0.2  and the bit-rate measuring
app for the Mac, at least, is called Media Calculator 0.6, both apps
can be gotten through a Google search.

Media calculator works by doing a calculation based on your file
type/size/ and input/output format, calculated to show the bit rate.
better to know it's okay before, rather than to find out after.

iDiscWriter will do a really nice job of the mov--> SVCD thing, but costs $249

MPEG Encoder 4 from Honestech, at $49 is a steal. You'll find out,
and fast, that there's a world of difference between Cideo CD, which
toast will do, and SVCD.

~flipper