[Ti] Pre-purchase advice?

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Wed Feb 12 03:47:55 PST 2003

On Wednesday, February 12, 2003, at 11:33  am, Glenn Verhalle wrote:

>> On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, at 10:44  AM, Dragonberry.com wrote:
>>
>>> I'm about to buy a 17" PowerBook G4 and was wondering if there is any
>>> pre-purchase advice anyone could give that would save me some
>>> headache down
>>> the road.
>>> I imagine it will be pretty painless (except on the wallet) but
>>> would like
>>> to know of any obvious caveats I may not know about.
>>>

>> Get Apple Care. You are buying a 1st-gen with many new toys on board;
>> Apple care could end up being the smartest move you make; I know that
>> when I buy my 12", Apple Care will be on the receipt.
>>
> If you don't need tel-support you can wait to get Apple Care to 'just
> before the warranty expires'. I usually do this and end up not getting
> Apple Care but a new Laptop. I usually sell my laptop when it's 10-11
> months old : the new owner still has some warranty left (adding value)
> and has the choice to get Apple Care or not.
>
> YMMV
>
> Glenn

definitely buy AppleCare. You get a 1 year warranty included in the
price but can extend for a further 2 years at any point before that
first year runs out.

I bought the original Ti 400, and I'm not saying that _everyone_ had
problems with it, but the first one had problems with the display
straight out of the box, (which the reseller replaced) and later on
myself and 4 other friends all had problems with the Firewire port on
the machine. It had to go to Apple to be repaired when it died on me. I
was worried that other problems might rear their ugly head so I decided
to extend to the 3 year Applecare.

It's not cheap, but a small price to pay imho for so many hours of use
on what is the most useful and most expensive computer I have even
owned.

Please let us know what you think of it :)
--
Tarik Bilgin
Opalblue
tarik at opalblue.com