[Ti] (OT) iTunes missing plugin - speed control

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 12 08:09:15 PST 2003

According to Lisbeth Zachs:

>onsdagen den 12 februari 2003 kl 14.18 skrev Les Posen:
>
>>iTunes is missing one element that would make it perfect -
>>pitch/tempo/speed control.
>Isn't that violating the original artist's performance? When I'm
>listening to a piece music played by an orchestra and its conductor,
>I trust they have choosen to play it like that. I even find the
>Equlizer, now available, intruding so never use it.  Maybe you
>however are composing your own music and wants to play with that a
>bit more? :-)

Hi Lisbeth,

As a former, long-time, musician, arranger, producer, and a veteran
of late-70s Warner Bros, and a part-time recording engineer [both in
pro studios and at several home-based studios], all i can say is, the
material is 'balanced', or 'equalized' in the studio, usually for the
best playback results on radio.

In addition, club mixes are engineered differently, and in the old
days it was not uncommon to produce a version [intended for AM Radio]
that was actually 'mixed' through a replica of dashboard-mounted
speakers [in order to emulate/verify the adequacy of the reproduction
in a car environment].

All that being said, the EQ controls that you have available to you
are for you to adjust the artist's material so that it sounds best,
to your ears, on your system. Any recording artist, writer, or
producer would tell you the same thing. We/they all want your
enjoyment of the music to come first. One must own an incredibly
high-priced stereo system in order to get a truly 'accurate' [as the
engineers intended] reproduction of the music at a 'flat', i.e.
non-user-equalized, setting.

For most of us, a little audio balancing is in order. For instance,
because my headphones do not press firmly against my ear, there is a
'proximity' factor which comes into play, and as a result, the lows
are not heard at the same 'balanced' level as the highs, SO, I adjust
my low end to be boosted, for the songs being played back through the
iPod, to compensate. If i were to not do so, then the result would be
that I wasn't hearing the 'intended' version of the pieces. Ergo,
mixing, or remixing the audio levels is actually mandatory, in order
to have listening experience that is actually more faithful to the
artist's original intentions.

~flipper