[Ti] Applecare Enrollment?

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Wed Feb 12 13:43:42 PST 2003

>On  Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:58:24 +0000 Tarik Bilgin <tarik at opalblue.com> wrote:
>
>> Applecare is a product which can be "Activated" against a particular
>> serial numbered Apple hardware product.
>
>It occurs to me that it would make much more sense if Apple sold Applecare
>as a product that carried over whatever product one was using. So, if I buy
>Applecare with a Powerbook and end up selling it and upgrading to a new
>Powerbook, why not have the Applecare stay with me, the customer, rather
>than with the original Powerbook? If I bought a product that was more
>expensive to cover, I would be billed for the extra amount that it would
>cost to have it covered. And when it is getting close to expiring, I would
>receive a notice and be billed for another 2 year extension.
>
>Makes sense to me. This way, I would have one Applecare account number that
>would stay with me through all my years of using Apple products.

The business decision is probably largely based on the difficulty of tracking who you are. When you call or write in and say that you want to transfer the policy to your new product, how do they really know it was you? And how do they later prove that it was you when you later have a claim that your old product should be covered and that you know nothing about the previous call or letter.  Much easier this way. Either it is or is not the serial number that is covered. Anyone who has the product has a covered product.
--

Robert Ameeti
mailto:robert at ameeti.net