[Ti] Lime Wire

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 12 14:22:34 PST 2003

According to Ric Perrott:

>To give a contrary opinion, I found Thoth to suck horribly. WAAAY
>too much manual setting needed, it's hard to know when global
>settings work or when they're overridden by newsgroup spefic
>settings.

The settings in Preferences are clearly marked as to whether they are
over-ridden by newsgroup, or personality settings. Clear as black and
white

>The binary handling is poor in my opinion

How? It is the ONLY Macintosh platform News reader that handles every
type of encoded post, without any problem, whatsoever.

>Too many windows open everywhere, and slow, at least on my news
>server. The UI is really horribly atrocious.

You needn't 'see' any windows, at all, once a download begins. The
Queued transfer List is handy, not necessary, Thoth Status is not
necessary, but can be closed, also, The user groups list is
important, but if closed will auto-update the user's own group list
for latest posts.

Slow? There is nothing faster, from any company, on any platform.
Period. It is a deep, powerful program. There's a learning curve.
There's also a manual. And the Mac Usenet community contains many
people who know this app, and the entire nature of NNTP news servers,
inside-out.

For someone like myself, who migrated to 'premium' news servers,
rather than be subjected to AOL, or phoneco, or ISP censorship, and
wanted posts to be available for weeks, rather than hours [18 hours
in the case of the ATT net,and worse, the farther from ATT one gets],
there is no way to find any other app that can even come close to
handling so much remote info, in such an efficient manner.

It isn't for everyone. It is not an email app. It requires an
investment of time. It is subject, as is programming, to the same
law, i.e GIGO, you know: Garbage In, Garbage Out

>Mozilla's newsreader on the other hand had NONE of these problems
>and works wonderfully. I would heartily recommend Mozilla's
>newsreader.

Mozilla is lost in binaries, as is Outlook. I've used them all, for
years. I only hope that readers who might be serious about the
Usenet, don't take the word of one user who picked it up, didn't
understand it immediately, and put it aside. Thoth is the one by
which all others are, or should be, measured.

I had a problem understanding some little feature in it, about a year
ago. I wrote a note, emailed to support. Wasn't even sure if there
was a 'support'. How much shareware actually has such a thing?
Anyway, about 45 seconds after i hit send, Eudora, by coincidence did
a mail check, on its own, and there was a letter back from brian
Clark, author of the program, laying out his thing on the subject,
the way to deal with it, and how he'd left code in the app, in
readiness for new posting file formats that were yet to be adopted.

>also, Thoth costs $25, Mozilla is free.

Another clear, although not the best, example of you get what you pay
for. And you really reap the rewards when you've done 'your part',
which is to learn the program. It can take a while for the
uninitiated. I spent hours on the basics.

Are there a lot of 'shortcuts'? Yep. Can it be run totally from the
keyboard? Yep. Will it download and convert files that are
unavailable on all other Mac apps, and all but one PC and all Unix
apps? Yep. Does it have a full-featured trial version? Yep. Is it for
everybody? Absolutely not.

~flipper

~flipper