[Ti] (OT) iTunes missing plugin - speed control

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 12 14:55:27 PST 2003

According to Les Posen:

>Now, could we return to my original question??
>
>Les

Sure  :=)  You need to import the material, change it, and export it,
and that means software 'sampling'.

What you need is a simple pitch-shifter, that will stretch the time
without changing pitch, meaning it takes 'longer' between beats, but
the pitches remain true to the original,

or, conversely, change the pitch without changing the time, meaning
to lower say, from "C" to Bb, but retain the 26-seconds time frame
<--i.e. to fit a commercial time slot

A sampler will do both, o in addition to countless other audio
operations, and because OSX has CoreAudio, it is ideal for just this
sort of thing.

There are a number available:

I use Peak 3.2 for OSX with a little VST plug-in called H-VST-Pitch
Changer, but there is a pitch and tempo change facility built-in,
also. The deal with Peak is that it favors working with stereo,
mom,or dual mono tracks, and of course, anything in CD format. If one
wanted to change mp3 files, you'd export the mp3 [from iTunes or any
other mp3 'handler], as an AIFF file and import to Peak, do what you
wanted to do, then re-import to iTunes, or whatever using AIFF to
mp3, as an example.

I don't have Spark loaded on the Mac right now, but i'll look at it
later. I do believe it handles pitch shifts nicely, and isn't
expensive, either.

Also, any of the more full-fledged, non-linear sampler/editing apps
[Reason, Native Instruments, Logic, Digital Performer] will do the
same thing, but they need the file formatted in MIDI or AIFF, or some
format other than the compressed mp3 file.

I accidentally erased your original message, so when you say you
receive files that are too fast or slow, I'd need to know what format
they're in? There are many apps to choose from, but I wouldn't
suggest a huge investment in some app that has pitch shifting along
with hundreds of other abilities. Changing to an AIFF file and using
Peak, or Spark, is probably the way to go.

If there's a semi-serious budget, my sampler of choice is made by
Native Instruments, and is called 'Kontakt'. It is terrific, but
again, really loaded with features, and integrates to all the
bigtime, pro audio apps that in turn integrate with DVD Studio Pro,
Avid, Pro Tools, etc. But what an app  :=)

Hope that helps, if you want more info, ask, or try  http://www.macmusic.org/

over and out,
~flipper