[Ti] Re Applecare Enrollment?

Daniel L Kegan, Kegan & Kegan, Ltd. daniel at KeganLaw.com
Thu Feb 13 21:03:25 PST 2003

After over a decade of Macs and often AppleCare, I've noticed that the
AppleCare price varies with different products--egg laptops and desktops and years.
I assume that's because the estimated risk differ for different types of machines,
and different years. A one year Mac and a seven year old Mac will have different
risks of failure.
In large health insurance pools, often if one is eligible to join there is no individual
determination of the particular individual's risks, a general pool is developed for
eg age-gender-smoking, etc. With a genetic screening, your individual risks could
be much more specified and your premiums much more individually tailored.
But we generally don't do that (there are interesting policy reasons)--the healthy pay more
than their fair share, the likely very ill pay less.

Look at the AppleCare issue from insurer's (Apple) position.
Do you want to evaluate the risks of the individuals over a general range of Macs,
or the risks of a type of Mac to fail, over a general range of people.

Daniel Kegan * daniel at KeganLaw.com * Kegan & Kegan, Ltd
We identify, develop, and protect intangible business assets
and counsel other professionals on legal issues.
Balanced Counsel for Smart Clients * www.KeganLaw.com