[Ti] "Services" problem Update

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 14 10:58:53 PST 2003

According to Steve Wozniak:

>I've also had problems with services recently (10.2.3). All services
>would disappear for Carbon apps (but appear for Cocoa apps). I had
>to play around with my two user-installed services, Word Services
>and TextsoapService. I found that I could drag the service files
>into and out of my services folder ([Home]/Library/Services) and
>sometimes the problem would go away, until a logout or restart.
>
>I now have TextsoapService out of my services folder and all my
>[other] services appear for Carbon apps, as they should.
>
>The TextSOAP features are still available within Eudora via the
>Edit-->Message Plug-Ins menuitem, and within BBEdit as a floating
>menu, even though they are no longer in the [App name]-->Services
>menuitems.
>--
>
>Regards,
>
>Steve  (is tv wake zone?)

Thanks Steve,

I've moved things around, and have a 'limited' version of BBEdit
'services', but not like before. It wasn't Ittec, or AliasMenu
causing conflicts, which was good news. I moved them all of the way
out, and restarted, no change.

I did move BBEdit and MoosePad to the first Apps folder [against my
wishes, I might add] and they appear there, albeit, with BBEdit
'services' in a severely truncated version of their former self. All
I see in the BBEdit 'Services' menu is Open File and Open Selection,
both of which I can do by right-clicking, anyway.

I DO, however, have 6 items under Net Services, 4 of which relate to
ordering books of photos [very handy, that]...and as a firm believer
in giving credit where it's due and i would like to congratulate the
9-yr old responsible for that.

I love the Mac, and the OS, but I liked the 128s and 512s too, and
part of the Mac 'thing' is we get to 'have it our way', you know,
like a big giant electronic Wendy's hamburger. Or was it Burger King?
Anyway, I mention my love for the platform for the benefit of those
who genuflect before raising a hint of complaint that could be
misconstrued as criticism of Apple. [Same people who adopt that
'reverential' meekness, and 'silence' whilst in Banks,I'd imagine]...
The point being if 'tweaking' the system for enhanced productivity
works in the OS, and an update comes along [what? 4 updates in?] and
wrecks that... whose fault is that?

The developers and 3rd-party code-writers are busting their ass to
stay relevant,or ahead of the curve, before they get 'absorbed' (like
SoundJam) or driven to the brink of bankruptcy, and then Apple makes
all this 'noise' about how they've hit a 'homer' and the developers
should 'get with the program'. So, which is it over there in the
Valley? To be fair Apple does a great thing. Problems with
competition, outsiders, etc, isn't new,or confined to Apple. I was at
HP [over on California Ave, in Stanford Industrial Park] back in
77-78, and we had the same issues. Plus ça change...

~flipper