[Ti] Software Update everybody

Chris Olson chris at mercury1.astcomm.net
Fri Feb 14 11:27:24 PST 2003

On Friday, February 14, 2003, at 08:48 AM, Mike Stanley wrote:
> How many OS X updates - especially those significant enough to be point
> releases - have you installed without having to restart?  They all say
> you'll have to restart at least once, if not more, during the install
> process

That's one of the things that sucks about OS X, and why I have a hard
time believing I could run it ( OS X Server) on servers.  There is no
need to restart a unix system unless you replace the kernel.  You can
replace programs, libraries, or whatever, and just use the init scripts
to restart the upgraded app and load the new configs into memory.  I
did not look at the date stamp on my kernel, so maybe the kernel was
replaced with this latest upgrade, but there again, a point release
does not replace the kernel on a unix upgrade.

If you can imagine this type of thing on an XServe serving PHP pages,
and you run the upgrade and the system is broken - without warning, and
it requires a restart to complete the upgrade - simply unacceptable for
_any_ unix system, desktop or server.
--
Chris Olson
Administrator