[Ti] Software Update everybody

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Sat Feb 15 09:40:40 PST 2003

>On 2/14/03 9:44 PM, "Chris Olson" <chris at mercury1.astcomm.net> wrote:
>
>> If not, why be surprised (or bothered) that you have to reboot when
>> you patch OS X?
>
> Because it irritates me.  I don't like rebooting computers.  If it was
> up to me, my TiBook would have an uptime of a year+ because I simply
> don't like to shut computers off :-)

Funny how far we've come in such a short time. OSX really has opened up a
new world to us Mac users, I snicker when I see I haven't restarted since
the last update (usually AT LEAST 14 days+). A matter of months ago - we
were all living in the daily shutdown/restart world of OS9.

A co-worker of my partner's had to reboot a personal/business Unix machine
of his last week - I *believe* he said his uptime was something obscene like
600 days. Maybe this is a low number in the 'nix server community - but that
is incredible.

I know that some get burnt by not reading the documentation included with
each update, but for those experienced enough to do it and understand it - I
am surprised you are so quick to install. I freely update my Ti every time,
reading the supplied note - but rarely am I ever saying to myself - "Wow
what an update! That fix to this bit of code is just outstanding!!"

I would think if a machine were important enough to me (server) and any OS
update came out - I would probably wait at least a week for the reports
before I considered installing and rebooting. Saving myself from obvious bug
traps firstly - but more importantly weighing the value of that reboot on an
'important machine' and the business it will affect. We are all totally
addicted to these updates and for some reason go blind when they are
released.

Conisdering there are ppl who have not upgraded to 10.2 yet - there must be
some serious OSX uptimes around?!

Bill Reburn