[Ti] DSL

Simon Chapman sc at pr100.com
Mon Feb 17 17:48:35 PST 2003

At 8:18 pm -0500 17/2/03, Jesse Brown wrote:
>On 2/17/03 12:42, "Simon Chapman" <sc at pr100.com> wrote:
>

>> Everything works fine with internet sharing at present but I would like to
>> know if I can just plug the new DSL modem into the base station, reset my
>> location prefs and start my new high-speed life.... I also need to keep an
>> external 56k modem wired to the 7500 so that I can use it for faxing and
>> hopefully I will be able to use the same phone line as the DSL once a
>> splitter has been fitted....
>

>Well, yes and no.
>
>Yes you can just plug your airport into the DSl modem via the ethernet port.
>You will then have to configure the internet preferences of base station for
>PPOE to work with the DSL modem.
>
>I'm assuming an older AP with only a single Enet port.
>
>This now presents a problem with the hardwired 7500. You cannot have a PPOE
>connection and a NAT DHCP server on the same ENet port even using a hub. So
>NO you can't use the 7500 in a hardwired mode in this configuration.
>
>You will need to get some sort of wireless access PCI device for the
>7500(cheapest solution)  or a dual Ethernet (Snow) Base station or some
>other wireless routing device with a WAN port and a (mutliple)LAN port such
>as a Linksys or D-Link wireless router.

Thanx for this, Jesse. My base station is of the Snow variety, ie my 7500
is plugged in and there is another unused plug which looks like it should
take a DSL modem. So hopefully it will all work without having to get more
hardware -- though I could add a wireless PCI card to the 7500 if there was
no other option. But perhaps this is starting to stray off-topic...

Stan