[Ti] Flaky *&%$ Superdrive!

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Tue Feb 18 08:27:12 PST 2003

On  Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:25:13 +0000 Tarik Bilgin <tarik at opalblue.com> wrote:

> Does the CD have a particularly thick label "painted" on the top?
>>
> --
> Tarik

Thanks for the input, Tarik.

What I discovered is that this one CD does have a slightly raised edge. What
I did was take a knife and scrape the edge down - both top and bottom
holding the knife at a 45° angle to the surface of the disk.

Now the disk pops in and out without a problem.

I notice that this issue is really getting a lot of play in the Apple
Discussion forums (G4 Powerbook - both Usage and DVD forums). It seems to be
a particular problem with the new 1 Ghz Powerbooks fitted with SuperDrives.
Some people have had CDs stuck in their drives so badly they had to take it
to a repair depot to have the disk removed.

My suggestion to people with Powerbooks with the new SuperDrives is to run
your finger along the edge of a CD before you pop it in. If it has a
slightly raised or jagged edge, carefully scrape it down and smooth it.

jg