[Ti] DSL

Sherman Gregory sherman at qualcomm.com
Wed Feb 19 12:41:30 PST 2003

At 8:18 PM -0500 2/17/03, Jesse Brown wrote:
>On 2/17/03 12:42, "Simon Chapman" <sc at pr100.com> wrote:
>

>>  Everything works fine with internet sharing at present but I would like to
>>  know if I can just plug the new DSL modem into the base station, reset my
>>  location prefs and start my new high-speed life.... I also need to keep an
>>  external 56k modem wired to the 7500 so that I can use it for faxing and
>>  hopefully I will be able to use the same phone line as the DSL once a
>>  splitter has been fitted....
>

>Well, yes and no.
>
>Yes you can just plug your airport into the DSl modem via the ethernet port.
>You will then have to configure the internet preferences of base station for
>PPOE to work with the DSL modem.

Not necessarily.  At least here in the states, not all DSL providers
use PPPoE.  Some use manually configured static IP addresses, some
use DHCP configured dynamic IPs, and some (the best case) even use,
or have used static IPs configured with DHCP.

So, it depends on your ISP.

>I'm assuming an older AP with only a single Enet port.
>
>This now presents a problem with the hardwired 7500. You cannot have a PPOE
>connection and a NAT DHCP server on the same ENet port even using a hub. So
>NO you can't use the 7500 in a hardwired mode in this configuration.

Hmmm... I used to run my graphite base station with a hub between it
and the DSL modem to connect my wired computers.  In that case I was
DHCPed, but I would not think that PPPoE would effect this.  If it
does, then that just gives me another reason to hate PPPoE.

I know that in a future mail he said that he had a snow base station,
but even if he did not, I think it could work.

      Sherman