[Ti] DSL

Jesse Brown jesse.brown at mac.com
Thu Feb 20 08:22:01 PST 2003

On 2/19/03 15:41, "Sherman Gregory" <sherman at qualcomm.com> wrote:

>> Well, yes and no.
>>
>> Yes you can just plug your airport into the DSl modem via the ethernet port.
>> You will then have to configure the internet preferences of base station for
>> PPOE to work with the DSL modem.
>
> Not necessarily.  At least here in the states, not all DSL providers
> use PPPoE.  Some use manually configured static IP addresses, some
> use DHCP configured dynamic IPs, and some (the best case) even use,
> or have used static IPs configured with DHCP.
>
> So, it depends on your ISP.

Most use PPOE, some still use PPOA (Point to Point over ATM) I suppose but
it's not a mainstream protocol. The manually configured IP's or however the
IP is configured still has to ride on a transport protocol and that is PPOE
for the majority of DSL providers (Covad, Verizon, Pacbell, SBC, etc). There
is a petition to get rid of PPOE at
<http://www.petitiononline.com/pppoe/petition.html> but it only has 290
signatures at present.

>> I'm assuming an older AP with only a single Enet port.
>>
>> This now presents a problem with the hardwired 7500. You cannot have a PPOE
>> connection and a NAT DHCP server on the same ENet port even using a hub. So
>> NO you can't use the 7500 in a hardwired mode in this configuration.
>
> Hmmm... I used to run my graphite base station with a hub between it
> and the DSL modem to connect my wired computers.  In that case I was
> DHCPed, but I would not think that PPPoE would effect this.  If it
> does, then that just gives me another reason to hate PPPoE.
>
> I know that in a future mail he said that he had a snow base station,
> but even if he did not, I think it could work.

It does. You can do what you describe and I have done it - have more than
one CPU hubbed to a DSL modem and use ENTERNET, MacPOET or WINPOET to log on
and get an IP from each of the CPUs.

I have had no success in hubbing a router, DSL modem and several CPUs and
having the PPOE connection assign a public IP to the router which then
provides NAT services over the same ENET port to one or more CPUs on the
hub.

Whether or not you hate PPOE it is the standard for transporting IP packets
in the majority of Digital Subscriber Line installations in the US.

Jesse