DHCP can be static IP but dynamic Router

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Thu Feb 20 09:06:27 PST 2003

>On 2/19/03 17:12, "Robert Ameeti" <robert at ameeti.net> wrote:
>
>>> and some (the best case) even use, or have used static IPs configured with DHCP.

>>Huh?   You can't have Static and DHCP at the same time. The D in DHCP stands for Dynamic, which is defined as non-static.
>
>Yes you can. DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. You can manually assign an IP number and get all the rest of your network info via DHCP.

Dang. Yep, I've seen that pop menu item for quite a while and never paid any attention to it. And with several large ISPs that I've worked with, I've never seen it implemented or used. I guess it is unusual enough that Apple's own definition for DHCP is technically incorrect as well as I was.

DHCP Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol-A protocol used to distribute IP addresses to client computers. Each time a client computer starts up, the protocol looks for a DHCP server and then requests an IP address from the DHCP server it finds. The DHCP server checks for an available IP address and sends it to the client computer along with a lease period-the length of time the client computer may use the address.
--

Robert Ameeti
mailto:robert at ameeti.net

Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to conceive.
- Don Herold