[Ti] RAM

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Thu Feb 20 09:21:09 PST 2003

Kevin Hoth <khoth at arches.uga.edu> writes:
>> I was looking to fill my new 1GHz with RAM and someone suggested=20
>> Kingston Technology RAM.
>> 1) What is the difference as long as it is PC133?

PC133 largely just specifies a speed; there are other factors too.

>> 2) What is the difference between Non-ECC & ECC?

ECC=Error Correcting Code.  This type of RAM has one extra bit for
every byte to perform a data integrity check on the data stored in RAM.
  On many DIMMs (especially desktop ones), you can see an extra hole
where an additional chip or two would be added to increase the capacity
of the DIMM by 1/8 to hold the ECC bits.  Macs don't use this kind of
RAM, so don't get it.

>> 3) Has anyone had success buying RAM from 1-800-4Memory?

I wouldn't recommend them.  You might get good RAM, you might not; I'd
say don't risk it, and go for either Kingston as somebody else
recommended, or my personal favorite, Crucial.

>> 4) What difference does it make if I buy 2 x 512MB or one 1GB?

I'm not sure that the TiBook can take a 1 GB; size concerns aside, it
may not be able to recognize it all.

>> 5) If I want to rack my powerbook with 1 GB does it have to be=20
>> low-profile RAM?

Most likely, yes.  The vendor should know for sure, but if you get the
wrong kind, the RAM can press upward on your keyboard.

>> Good Lord, it shouldn't be this confounding?!

Well, there are fewer types of RAM than there are models of
computers...  But everybody wants something slightly different when
they're designing a computer, plus every year new technologies emerge...

Bill Reburn <bill at pacificcoast.net> writes:
> If you buy 1GB of ram from anyone - they may sell it as a kit for the
> Ti. Be
> careful though - I remember some vendors charging more for the kit than
> purchasing two chips seperately. I don't know why, it was one of the
> vendors
> off Ramseeker though. Different models have different requirements -
> best
> place for you to look is either on the Apple site in the Spec's
> section.. Or
> look in your manual before trusting some website salesperson.

Often they would charge more because you would get low-profile DIMMs
instead of high-profile ones.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html