[Ti] [OT] New 20" LCD display _requires_ OS X ???

Mike Stanley macguy at guarded-inn.com
Thu Feb 20 16:57:44 PST 2003

On Thursday, February 20, 2003, at 07:48 PM, Paul Russell wrote:

> OK - in a nutshell - their old 20" CRT display died - they produce a
> newspaper so a large screen is fairly essential - there doesn't seem
> to be any significant reason for them to upgrade to OS X - and there
> are a LOT of reasons /not/ to upgrade to OS X (cost, hassle, time,
> Quark XPress, RAM upgrades, software upgrades, wetware upgrades ;-),
> etc, etc).
>
> So, the most pragmatic way for them to spend their money is on a new
> display that doesn't necessitate the major step of "upgrading" to OS X
> - horses for courses and all that. $1200 for the Apple 20" LCD seemed
> like a worthwhile expenditure. I imagine they'll go for a 17" LCD now
> and if the lack of screen real estate becomes a problem then they can
> always add a second display card and a 15" or 17" second display.

Unless they just have LCD-itis then the smart move would seem to be to
replace their 20" CRT with another one.  Cheaper all around probably
than an LCD.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE my 20" LCD - and I especially love the
jealous reactions from my coworkers <g> - but you can get a good
replacement CRT for half what the 20" LCD will cost and have more space
than a 17" LCD.