[OT] Micro$oft acquires Virtual PC - the kiss of death ?

Claude aubelloc at videotron.ca
Thu Feb 20 22:21:39 PST 2003

How many innovative companies has Necrosoft bought outright over the
years just to nip their technology in the bud or getting instant
dominant position in yet another market?

On the other hand, VirtualPC (which I'm quite happy with save for the
fact that Trados -- a translation tool -- just refuses to run) does
represent a way for Necrosoft to sell more copies of Windows... for an
otherwise nonexistent market.

In the long run, I would expect a tighter integration of the virtual
environment and the OS, leading to better performance and stability
(via access to *both* source codes).  But then, I may be too much of an
optimist...  It all depends on MS's intent, and there's no way to know
this.

Claude Bolduc

(Happy owner of a 15" TiBook, despite having bought it a scant three
weeks before the 17" PowerBook was announced: I nevertheless find 15"
to be the perfect compromise between gorgeousness and portability.)