[Ti] [OT] Quark on OSX(Classic)

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Fri Feb 21 07:32:00 PST 2003

>On 2/21/03 7:03 AM, "Tarik Bilgin" <tarik at opalblue.com> wrote:
>
> We've just started moving people to new hardware (new G4's) in my
> office, the first of whom are graphic designers that love Quark (don't
> we all!).
>
> For any machines that can run OS9 as well as OSX I'm doing dual boot
> installations so that we can test the Quark peformance/issues in
> Classic.
>
> Got any Quark/OSX gotchas you care to share Bill?
>
> --
> Tarik Bilgin
> Opalblue
> tarik at opalblue.com

Hrrmm.. I had several until a month or so ago when I finally gave up. OSX
_IS_ where we're headed (what? It's where we're at).. The CEO of Quark has
at several events, told Mac users to move on to something else if they were
that bothered with the delay of Quarks OSX migration, so I did.

As a BIGTIME Quark supporter (ok, well I NEVER supported Dongles!),
instructing classes with this app and having used it in my daily routine for
10+ hours a day for several years.. That comment alone from the chief is
pretty much my biggest Gotcha. I bought Adobe InDesign the next week, turfed
Classic and Quark right off of my computer - big fat middle finger for you
Quark.

ID is not Quark (but is twice as good in so many ways), but Quark has lost
me, period - we'll see what Xpress 6 has in store because 5 is a D - O - G.
It was even worse in Classic than 4.1.1.

Ok, rant over, hope you're still with me..

It all comes down to what you're doing I guess.. If you only need part time
Quark work done (say, less than a cpl hours a day) - Classic will probably
be fine for you.

Some of the problems I had were;

- OSX didn't support some of the PostScript printers we used (more a X
problem, but I couldn't use Quark so.. Boot to 9 for printing)

- Screen redraw is annoying as heck. We pay sooo much money for our displays
and work environment - to have a software glitch screw over your document
display on a regular basis was too much to deal with. I had to click the
Quark doc's window widget everytime I did something in another app so that
it would finish the redraw.

- Screen artifacts.. Part of the redraw problem - move a document around and
artifacts stick all over the place. Window widget again to clean up.

- Fonts between OSX and Classic are kind of easy to deal with.. But a
hassle. ATM doesn't work in X, but it does in Classic.. If you have font
problems boot back to 9.

- KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS are pooched in many instances. There are some hacks and
shareware to deal with this.. but why? Boot back to 9.

- PDF output is mental. Running Distiller in Classic is sooooooooooooo
slow.. Boot back to 9. (I built a lot of pdf's)

There are a few more.. But you can see that after having to deal with these
things, they take a serious chunk of time out of your workflow. Time I never
had to waste anyway. I also use my gear to make $ and if I am wasting it on
troubleshooting well.. OS9 is just too easy a choice right now.

Bill Reburn