[Ti] [OT] Quark on OSX(Classic)

Simon Chapman sc at pr100.com
Fri Feb 21 07:58:10 PST 2003

At 7:32 am -0800 21/2/03, Bill Reburn wrote:
(snip)
>- OSX didn't support some of the PostScript printers we used (more a X
>problem, but I couldn't use Quark so.. Boot to 9 for printing)
>
>- Screen redraw is annoying as heck. We pay sooo much money for our displays
>and work environment - to have a software glitch screw over your document
>display on a regular basis was too much to deal with. I had to click the
>Quark doc's window widget everytime I did something in another app so that
>it would finish the redraw.
>
>- Screen artifacts.. Part of the redraw problem - move a document around and
>artifacts stick all over the place. Window widget again to clean up.
>
>- Fonts between OSX and Classic are kind of easy to deal with.. But a
>hassle. ATM doesn't work in X, but it does in Classic.. If you have font
>problems boot back to 9.
>
>- KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS are pooched in many instances. There are some hacks and
>shareware to deal with this.. but why? Boot back to 9.
>
>- PDF output is mental. Running Distiller in Classic is sooooooooooooo
>slow.. Boot back to 9. (I built a lot of pdf's)
(snip)
Quark 4.11 and Acrobat are my two main working tools so I'm staying with Os
9 for at least another year, maybe more, until Quark (and Apple) sort
themselves out. Quark 6 is bound to be riddled with bugs so it may be a
couple of years. Meanwhile, I'm holding on to my Os 9.22 TiBook and 7500/G4
with a vice-like grip since Apple have declared that they don't want me as
a customer for any new hardware.

Simon