[Ti] Type fuzzy on new 17" monitor

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Fri Feb 21 15:44:27 PST 2003

On  Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:12:11 -0700 Bruce Lee <lee at suu.edu> wrote:

> I just got a new 17" Studio Display and have hooked it to my 800mhz
> tiBook through a DVI to ADC adaptor. I love the display. The colors and
> graphics are stunning! However, the type, whether on a web page or a
> Word document is a bit fuzzy or broken up. In the General System Prefs
> I have font smoothing set at Medium-Best for Flat Panel and Turn off
> font smoothing for font sizes 8 and smaller. I also have an ATY, Rage
> M7 video card with 32 mg.
> Is there something I can do, or is this just a drawback of the monitor.
> Thanks,
> Bruce C. Lee

Bruce, are you sure you have the display set at 1280 X 1024 at millions?
Anything less will usually result in less than optimal text rendering.

I have a 17" Studio Display hooked up to a 1 Ghz Powerbook and it renders
text really sharp. I have it set so text smoothing begins at 9 and is at
medium - best for flat panel.

jg