[Ti] [OT] New 20" LCD display _requires_ OS X ???

Atma Stormfighter atma-spam at ayerie.dnsalias.net
Fri Feb 21 22:07:52 PST 2003

Late post, but quick tutorial on flavors of DVI.

DVI-I: has pins that transmit digital as well as pins that transmit
analog ("VGA") signals.  Its what the DVI port on Macs is

DVI-D: only has the pins for digital, some early IA32 ("PC") cards had
this.

DVI-A: I have never seen such a beast, but theoretically it would only
have the pins for analog ("VGA").

Now, ADC uses DVI-I, if you remember the ADC equipped CRTs used analog.
  So, connecting a VGA display to DVI-D or ADC is trivial: its a matter
of switching the pin layout.  Connecting a DVI display to VGA is quite
non-trivial, as you have to convert that analog signal back into
digital which requires a good amount of logic.

-Adrian Rutledge