[Ti] Desktop Pictures

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 22 10:42:35 PST 2003

According to Lisbeth Zachs:

>Where do I find these preferences on how to show the picture? Is it
>something added in the latest OS X 10.2.x-versions? On my 10.2.1 it
>is only possible, as far as I can see, to choose which map to to
>show pictures from, how often to change them and if they should
>change randomly. At the moment I therefor get some pictures being
>shown only partly because it it bigger than the screen, some fitting
>perfectly and some filling the screen with what I guess you would
>call the Tile-version.
>
>I thought that the best solution for me would be to place equally
>and correct sized pictures in a special desktop map but if the
>preferences you indicate above is available that would be so much
>easier.

Hi Lisbeth,

"System Preferences-->Desktop" is the path to the preferences for the
desktop picture display.

Here you will see a small sample of whatever the current picture or
pattern [color] is being displayed and there is also a line that says
"Select an image from the collections", and immediately below that a
button next to "Collection" that you click on to select from Apple
Background Images, Nature, Abstract, and Solid Colors. ALSO, on the
same button's 'list' you will see "Desktop Pictures" and "Choose
folder..."

As soon as a picture is selected [by clicking on any picture sample
in the "Desktop Pictures", for example] the desktop changes to show
the picture, and right next to the sample picture on your preference
panel, you will see another button that wasn't there if you were set
originally for Colors... that button will default to show "Fill
Screen", but also can be changed to show "Stretch to fill screen",
"Center", and "Tile".

I have added hundreds of pictures to my Desktop Pictures folder, to
give me more selections, by adding my own pictures to the Desktop
Pictures folder in my Home Library [Users/Library]. The main Apple
colors, patterns and built-in pictures are in the main Library. If
one has another folder somewhere that contains pictures this folder
can also be selected using the drop-down menu in the 'Collection'
button mentioned above.

The 'default' when a picture is selected is "Fill Screen", and  since
the Preference panel, itself, is 'centered', choosing a picture, and
selecting "Centered' will usually place the picture on the desktop
behind the pref panel itself, but if the picture is originally a
large-scale formatted picture,it will be 'centered' but only the
central part of the picture will be visible. The choice to use in
that case is : "Stretch to fill screen".

~flipper