[Ti] Taking a Ti to China - need Internet ::: works fine ... use 163/263, 169 isp's in Major cities

Warwick Teale warwick_teale at mac.com
Sat Feb 22 19:30:57 PST 2003

HI Deb,  fours years+ here..... i use local broadband now.

1) ACCESS:
PRC (china) PPP access from any of the ISP's under local dialed numbers
169, 163, 263 and many more. You get charged by the minute of usage.
Not  much compare to else where. Account names and password are 163/163
269/269 etc .. may of them around in most cities like Beijing, Tianjin,
Shanghai, Guangzhou, Jinan, etc etc.. reasonable coverage on the
EASTERN side of china.. get suss further west.

Taipei:  well not clear . someone there can tell you. i use COMPUSERVE
(UUNET) when I go there.

HONG KONG: no free access.. gotta get an ISP... but I will stand
corrected. (icable, netvigator etc etc).

4) A/C power is 22C at 50hz. ok for all appliances with voltage sensitive
power supplied such as this TI667 I am using now. Just get a power plug
adater. In China they are about 4 yuan each... ($USD.0.50 - 50 cents)..
more in  places where foreigners (Lao Wei's go)... Get one that has the
"male" extenders for US+TAiwan, Hong KOng (UK) and PRC (same as
Australaia). You CAN get away with your 2 x prong plug from the usa in
most places as this is the same plug used in Taiwan. HOwever if you go
to Guangdong province there can be up to 5 different power plug
types!!! (UK/HK, TW/USA, PRC/AUST, some 3 promged heave round things
like they have in RSA (south africa and more). Howver the clever
Chinese have a single power "female" end that fist nearly all... but
the power inlets are the problems when you travel. Just buy a few of
these really cheap plastic adapters in china and you will be set for
anywhere (mostly) in the world.

Hope that helps.

warwick