[Ti] New Dazzle 4 in 1 doesn't seem to play nice...

Jim Soriano jsoriano at sumbeach.com
Sat Feb 22 20:28:18 PST 2003

Woz replied to my inquiry...and I answered thusly...

> ...the Dazzle 4in1 PC Card for use with SD and MMC cards...results in
> hung system -- running 10.2.4 ...try it again.  This time the PC card
> icon appears on the menu bar but only has a pop-down menu item
> allowing me to power down the card.  The MMC never mounts or otherwise
> appears on the desktop.
>
> PC Card icon in the menu bar?

Sure, doesn't everyone have this icon when a PC storage card is plugged
in (since original Jaguar release, at least?)  It's a 2D icon of a
PCMCIA card top view that's on the right side of the menu bar -- on my
PB the icons' order right to left is PC Card, modem, Bluetooth, iChat,
Airport Strength, Sound Level, Clock.  When I put in a CompactFlash
card (and adapter) the icon pops up and it's associated pull-down menu
lists (in dim gray) "SunDisk", "SDP", then (in black) "Power off Card".
  If one selects the latter then I assume the system is ready for the
user to eject the card gracefully.

> iPhoto would be launching at this point (unless changed).

Yep, it would but I changed that in iPhoto preferences to not
automatically start up.

> I popped it out and inserted a new 32MB SanDisk SD card.  Same thing
> -- PC card icon appears but the "drive" doesn't mount.
>
> SanDisk SD cards do work, but I haven't tried a 32 MB one. I've never
> tried an MMC card with my Dazzle adapter.
>

> The ultra-embarassing thing is that if I put the adapter and card in
> my W2K Dell Latitude CPx it works just fine -- files and all are > there.
>
> Bad PCMCIA connector in your Ti? Bad card that only affects some
> computers?

I think the PCMCIA slot in my Ti is ok since I can read CF cards fine.

> Suggestions:
>
> -try another Dazzle card.
> -try some other adapter card.
> -make sure iPhoto launches successfully, at least with USB connection
> to your camera
> -what makes a card icon in your menu bar?
> -any other utilities that might intercept a card that is mounting?
> --

Now that I've got the photos off the card I'll reformat it in the
camera and try it again.  I'll also put it in my wife's G4-Sawtooth
with Microtech USB PC card reader and see if that works.

I'll report back.  Thanks, Woz, for your insight.

Regards,

Jim